Monday, December 03, 2007

Ginkgo Biloba


Ginkgo Biloba Tree
Madison Avenue
Oxford, Mississippi

I grabbed a shot of my favorite tree last month just as it was turning its electric shade of yellow. I wish I had been around a week later. This tree just shines from within with a golden shimmer.

The ginkgo biloba species has thrived on planet Earth for around 270 million years. Ginkgos have become known as symbols of longevity, memory, and hope -- all for good reason. The oldest standing ginkgos are in China and Japan where some are said to be over 2,500 years old. Extract from the ginkgo leaves is thought to be a memory enhancer and an antioxidant. Ginkgo trees are hardy and resilient, resistant to disease, pollution, and fire. So hardy in fact, that four Ginkgo bilboa trees survived the atomic bomb blast on Hiroshima in 1945. These four trees are still thriving today. If you have room for one of these massive trees (they can reach heights exceeding 100 ft) Ginkgo bilobas are great choices for any garden.

1 comment:

The Clem Family said...

Sorry it has taken me so long, but I finally responded to your tag.