Sunday, December 07, 2008

Blogger Book Boost: Christmas Gift Recommendations

Author Sarah Laurence has invited her reads to join a Blogger Book Boost, where bloggers write recommendations for books that would be perfect for holiday reading or holiday gifts. I've decided to join in. Of course, if you don't like my recommendations, you can always head on over to Square Books and read their Holiday Gift Guide.


Fabulous Fiction:

Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich
I loved this book. I read Love Medicine in college (Honors 201 maybe?), and I thought it was the kind of book I would enjoy if my professor had given me time to enjoy it. I picked up Plague of Doves from the "New" shelf at the library - I thought I'd give Erdrich another try. I'm so glad I did. Oh, and the linked title is to the New York Times Book Review because I'm not an English major and I just don't do book reviews.


Garden Writing:

Passalong Plants by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing
I received this book as a gift a few years ago, and finally read the whole thing cover to cover when it was a selection for the Garden Bloggers' Book Club. This book is a must have for any Southern gardener, and an excellent book for any garden-lover. Steve and Felder really know how to capture the spirit of a old-time passalong garden. The title links to the reviews by the Garden Bloggers' Book Club back in May 2007.



Cookbook:

Macrina Bakery & Cafe Cookbook by Leslie Mackie
I picked this cookbook up after seeing Leslie Mackie on the Food Network. Some of my favorite recipes are in this book: Morning Glory Muffins, Cherry Almond Scones, Butternut Squash and Apple Galette, and Angel Thumbprint Cookies. Chip gets excited when I pull this book down from the shelf because he knows something wonderful will be coming from the oven.




For the Ole Miss fan:

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
I don't generally read books about football - or any sport - but I liked this book. It tells the story of Micheal Oher, left tackle on the Ole Miss offensive line, and the evolution of the left tackle in the N.F.L. Lewis does a good job balancing football strategy with an excellent story about a lost kid from Memphis.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah Laurence said...

Lisa, I found your blog by googling "blogger book boost." Thanks for joining! I love Louise Erdich (Love Medicine is a favorite) and I'm now tempted to get this latest one. Is it alright if I add a link to this post from mine?

PS the comment above is spam. "She" left one on mine too with a similar commercial link.

Lisa Blair said...

Sarah, sure! Add a link. I think I might have even encouraged one or two friends to buy books for Christmas gifts. Yay!

Yeah - the comment is spam. I don't get enough spam to envoke the word verification or comment approval features. Call me a lazy blogger, I guess!

Sarah Laurence said...

Lisa, that's great news. I was at the bookstores in our town yesterday, and the lines were so long that at one they were passing out free brownie samples. I don't do the verification thing either because it's annoying. If you are signed in, you can click on the trash can icon at the bottom of the comment to get rid of it.

gelsey Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear Visitors, This blog is really nice and informative. We are pleased to know this blog is really helping people. Thanks:)