Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Birthday Dinner

My husband's birthday is October 13th, and I'm beginning to plan the birthday dinner party for him and his family. There will be six of us, and when I cook for six or more people on a weeknight, I generally like to do a one-pot meal (like gumbo, or chicken stew, etc) that I can possibly make ahead. For Chip's birthday dinner, I'm thinking about making Indian food.

I have a few go-to Indian dishes that I make regularly. I really like these Chicken Kebabs with Cilantro-Mint Chutney. I have two tomato-based chicken curry dishes that I go back and forth on, both from the All Recipes website: Indian Chicken Curry II and Fragrant Chicken Curry. Both are good, but neither of them really blow my socks off. So, I thought I'd ask you guys! Do you have a "blow-your-socks-off" chicken curry recipe that you can recommend?

So far, I am leaning towards this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe that was featured on one of my most favorite blogs, Posie Gets Cozy. It is by no means a healthy recipe (see that butter? that heavy cream?), so I probably won't be adding it to my regular rotation, but it might be good for a special occasion.

Chip's family all love Indian food and aren't scared of spicy dishes at all, so bring on the curry recipe recommendations!

4 comments:

Whitman Public Library said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

With the weather getting cooler, I've just been thinking about making this dish: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1932643

Chicken-Butternut Tagine, which is supposed to be based on a Moroccan dish but has an Indian flavor to it.

Good luck with whatever you make! Jessi

Lisa Blair said...

Mmmm, Jessi, that looks really good! My husband would love this. I see that it is a Cooking Light recipe, too. Cool! I will definitely give this one a try.

MH said...

Chip and I share the same birthday. I'll be 29! UGH!

I wish you were making me birthday dinner too! That all sounds delicious.