Saturday, March 08, 2008

No Snow

All the weather gurus were predicting I'd wake up to 2 inches of snow. That's a big deal for central Mississippi. I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up some lunch, and folks were stocking up on groceries like Katrina was coming again. There's barely a drop (or should I say, flake?) of snow on the ground this morning.


I've got a lot more work to do in the backyard this weekend. I've tried to grow a good herb garden for the past two summers, but I've got lots of trees and that means tree roots, too. I don't want to fight tree roots anymore, and I don't think my herbs want to either. I'm gonna build a raised bed for the herb garden, so at some point on Sunday I have to convince Chip to help me load more bricks for it. The bed should look good and it should thrive, although I'm a little concerned about putting it so close to the pool. We don't usually get aggressively splashy in the pool, but I don't want to eat chlorine coated basil either. Ew!

The seedlings are coming up nicely. I'm probably going to have to do something about those darn squirrels very soon. I can see that they've been scratching around in my veggie patch - burying their acorns I'm sure - and I'm worried that it is only a matter of time before they dig up one of my plants. Grrrr....


Here's to Saturday morning! Even a Saturday morning without snow.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Sounds like spring is well on the way in your part of the world. Your seedlings are looking great!

Mara said...

I'm excited for you and your garden! I just started some seeds yesterday and put a few starter plants in the ground. Hopefully the deer will find other things to eat. :-/

Yay for gardens!

Lisa Blair said...

Thanks, Connie. I hope they stay on this happy path.

Mara, long time no see! I spot deer all the time in my neighborhood, but luckily my garden is inside the backyard fence. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yay for gardens indeed!