Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Grandmother's Garden

On Saturday I stopped by my Grandma Cain's house in Sallis, Mississippi for a visit. July 10th is a significant day for us, so I wanted to see her and give her big hugs and kisses. She fed me lunch of homegrown purple hull peas, snap beans, corn, and squash dressing. There were mashed potatoes and baked chicken, too.

My grandparents' garden always amazes me. In their summer garden they grow tomatoes, yellow summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, butter beans, purple hull peas, snap beans, and corn. I am sure there are other things that I am forgetting about. I don't think a single day goes by when there isn't at least one of those homegrown vegetables on the table. In the summer, you can usually find all of those vegetables on the table at one meal. And, they don't just grow a few of each of those vegetables. My grandmother grew up in a large family, and she has never wanted to scale back the garden. At 80 years old, she still grows enough produce for at least ten families.

Oh, I forgot to mention there are also plums, peaches, figs, watermelons, honeydew, and cantaloupe.

Her flower garden is dear to my heart. Since I rented my first house I've tried to recreate it on what ever patch of land I've had. In the back there are the dark orange sunflowers that she loves so much. There is a rose-of-sharon, yellow and peach gladioli, cleome, and marigolds. And then there are the zinnias. All in shades of purple, just like she likes them.







I brought some zinnias home with me and put them in a mason jar to remind me of her special home.

9 comments:

Susie S said...

I'm so jealous of your grandmother's garden! I still remember the photo you posted years back of her giant tomato plants! I need her to help me!

challie west said...

Her flower garden is so beautiful! I have tried to grow flowers from seeds and can't. I hope you enjoyed your time with her on Saturday :)

Rachel said...

Wow! That is absolutely breath taking! All of these goods are 10 miles up the road from me and here I've been going to the farmers market?
Next time you come up let me know. I'd love to see you.

Lisa Blair said...

Rachel, I think my grandpa has been selling tomatoes at the farmers market, so maybe you have bought from him! Wouldn't that be cool? It was a quick trip this time, but would love to stop by and see y'all!

Allie, most of my flowers from seed didn't work this either. My granny doesn't even have to sow those zinnias anymore. They are all volunteers!

Susan, I am lucky that I get to ask her advice.

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

Amazing, your grandmother's garden is beautiful. That's great she's growing all those veggies and fruit. I'd love to have all that room to grow all those vegetables!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your Grandmother's garden is a dream! It looks and sounds just like something I'd love to have one day. What a pretty bouquet of Zinnias, I love using Mason jars as vases too.

MotherNature'sGarden said...

It makes me want to cut flowers for a bouquet.

Casey said...

Beautiful! Will we ever know how to do it like our grandmothers? ha.

freerangegirl said...

What a wonderful garden it looks like a truly magical place. I just found your blog and im really enjoying reading about life in your neck of the woods!