Thursday, August 30, 2012

Week 32

At the appointment on Friday, August 10, I had a BPP sonogram, and baby Lydia scored a 10/10. The sonogram tech measured her at 2 lbs 11 oz, HR 144, 136, and 128. Her abdomen and femur were still 2-3 weeks behind her head, but other than that she was doing great. My prognosis, however, got worse. My blood pressure was 135/92. This was now the third high blood pressure reading in ten days. I still had major swelling that had started on Monday and had not gone down. And, I had gained five pounds since Monday due to the swelling. All were signs of preeclampsiaI was seeing one of the other doctors in Dr. Patterson's practice that day, Dr. Garner, and she had me do a 24-hour urine capture to test for proteins, which is the best way to diagnose preeclampsia

When I woke up on Saturday morning, most if not all swelling was gone, and I was feeling much better after such a bad week. I went to work on Saturday morning, then I rested on the couch laying on my left side almost all weekend trying to get my blood pressure to lower. The swelling would not return, which got my hopes up again that my health was improving. I was hoping that the previous week's episode was stress related because of all the driving, appointments, and the fact that it was a stressful week at work because I was missing so much work. I made a vow to stay home at the first sign of any new swelling. 

On Sunday I had to drive to the Women's Hospital in Tupelo to turn in my urine sample. My doctors had ordered the lab to take a blood sample to test for HELLP syndrome.  

On Tuesday, August 14, I went for another BPP sonogram. Lydia scored another 10/10. The sonogram tech measured her at 2 lbs 12 oz, HR 149 and 127. Her abdomen and femur were showing 4 weeks behind her head. Sonograms are an imperfect science, and each tech measures a bit differently, so these measurement variations were typical. In general what the sonogram was showing was that Lydia still showed asymmetrical growth, but she was a healthy baby otherwise. Each time she was "practicing her breathing" taking fluid in and out of her lungs. 

My blood pressure was still high, 138/95. Dr. Patterson had bad news for me. My urine sample did contain protein, which is a sign of kidney damage. My blood work still looked normal. On Sunday evening, as soon as my urine results came back, the doctors diagnosed me with mild preeclampsia. Going forward, in addition to BPP sonograms, blood pressure, and urine tests, I would have blood taken and labs done. She started the blood tests immediately. 

On Tuesday night, Dr. Patterson called me at 9:45 pm, right after my blood work came back from the lab. I was now showing elevated liver enzymes in my blood which is one of the symptoms of HELLP syndrome. My health was worsening, but the crazy thing is that I FELT fine! 

She said that she wanted to admit me to the hospital first thing the next morning where they could monitor me more closely. I would be on bedrest in the hospital until baby Lydia came. She said that could be ten hours or 48 hours or two weeks depending on my health and Lydia's. I was in shock. I couldn't believe that I could be delivering my baby at 32 or 33 weeks. I cried some, and I'm not really a boo-hooer. I started packing my bags hoping for a long stay in the hospital. I didn't fall asleep until after 2 am. 


Ginger said...

so scary!! I have a question -is the pre-e/HELLP what caused the IUGR, or are they unrelated?

looking forward to the next chapter.


ps- I sent you something for Lydia that should arrive tomorrow. let me know if you don't get it soon. I hope it will be useful.

Casey said...

Aw Lisa, I'm glad this part is over. And I'm glad to know you felt fine even though your health was actually declining. I'm glad you weren't in pain or uncomfortable. And sooo glad the doctors knew what they were doing. Also, glad to see this post because hopefully that means things are still going well.

Lisa Blair said...

Ginger, the two are definitely related. Preeclampsia can cause poor blood flow to the placenta which causes growth restriction. Generally doctors see the preeclampsia symptoms before the IUGR, but in my case they were flip-flopped.

Casey, thank you, honey!!