Monday, January 21, 2013

Lydia at Five Months



Feed me!!!
Five months already? Yay - I love this age! And the whole age thing with Lydia is so confusing. On January 16th she was five months old and about 3 1/2 months adjusted. Lydia has really started showing her personality. She's a happy baby most of the time, but she definitely lets us know when she's hungry, bored, has a dirty diaper, or is in a bad mood. The girl has got lungs, and she's not afraid to use them.

Baby girl is really in love with her own hands these days. She often chews and sucks on her fist, fingers, or thumb. I'm hoping that she won't be a thumb sucker like her mommy was. I am trying to redirect her attention elsewhere when she's doing it to keep it from becoming habit. But really at this age I think hand chewing and sucking is just what babies do. She can hold a rattle and shake it. She likes to grab her stuffed animals by the hands, too.

On her back she has just started to scoot around by pushing through her legs and feet. When we put her down on her activity mat in one spot, later she'll be in a totally different spot. She does okay with tummy time. She's still not pushing through her arms very well, but she does lift her head okay if she wants to. She's holding her head up really well when I carry her around the house or prop her on the Boppy pillow. I need to get a Bumbo seat for her and try that out. She loves to be carried from window to window to look outside. Maybe we'll have a little nature lover!

Lately I've been trying to take more videos of her doing some things. I was telling Chip the other day that I remember her being a noisy little thing when we brought her home - always grunting - but now I can't remember what that sounded like! Why didn't I get video of it?

Here's a short clip of Lydia playing with her rattle.

As for her stats, we haven't been in for a weight check since December 27th when she was 9 pounds. I think she's at least 10 pounds now because she's grown out of a few outfits since then. Only one or two of her newborn outfits still fit, but they are very snug. She is in almost all 3 month clothes. We are still using Seventh Generation diapers in size 1 and Pampers Sensitive wipes. We are thinking about trying size 2s at night because she has a tendency to soak through.

Things Lydia likes:
Sing-a-longs to My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music, B-I-N-G-O, and You Are My Sunshine.
Playtime with daddy, especially when he makes silly faces and funny noises.
She still loves her bouncy chair and her activity mat. She pays more attention to the lights and sounds now and will scoot around on her back until she can reach the toy she wants to play with. She can easily grab whichever toy she wants now.
Taking a bath.
Being held (of course).
Lullaby time with mommy. I sing mostly hymns. Amazing Grace (of course), Blessed Assurance, and What a Friend We Have in Jesus are my favorites.

Lydia is still waking up at least once per night most nights. All you ladies who have babies who slept through the night at 2 month old? I'm jealous! Every once in a while Lydia will sleep through until 5 or so, but generally she does wake up hungry before then. Our schedule these days looks like this:
5:30 am - I get up and pump
6 am - I feed Lydia
6:45-7:30 am - Lydia goes back to sleep or plays. I wash pump parts then get ready for work.
7:30 am - Our sitter arrives.
8:15-8:30 am - I leave for work.
9 am, 11:30, 1:30 pm, 4:30 pm - I pump at work. I had to add a session :(
5:30 pm - We come home. Our sitter leaves.
6-6:45 pm - Chip feeds Lydia. I cook dinner.
7 pm - Dinner time!
7:30 pm - 8 pm - Bath, pajamas, story, or lullabies
8 pm - Lydia eats. Sometimes I feed her, sometimes Chip does.
9-10 pm - Lydia sleeps in her crib. I pump.
10 pm - I feed Lydia in her nursery with the lights off. A dreamfeed.
10:45 pm - I pump then go to bed.
2-4 am - Lydia eats again. Chip takes this one.

I'll happily take advice on how to drop that middle of the night bottle. We've tried a few times to just give her a pacifier instead of a bottle. She'll generally go back to sleep for a little while but will wake up crying again a few minutes later. So that means multiple trips to her room in the middle of the night instead of just one. No fun.

Right around the end of the year she started finishing her 4 ounce bottles at most feedings. We started giving her 5 ounces at her midday bottle and at 6 pm. She sometimes eats all 5, sometimes not. At 8, 10, and the night bottle, she gets 3 ounces. When she went up to 5 ounces, I started having to supplement with formula. On a typical day she'll eat anywhere from 22 to 28 ounces. Generally about 2 to 4 ounces of that is formula. More if I have wine. I am using regular Emfamil and Similac samples that her pediatrician gave me. She still gets half a milliliter of Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron vitamins twice a day - 6 am and 3 pm.

When I started this whole pumping thing my goal was to make it to six months, but really I never expected that I would be able to keep it up that long. Four to seven times a day. Twenty to thirty minutes each time. In addition to actually feeding her bottles of milk. It is a ton of work, but I believe it is the best thing for her, so I'll continue to do it.

Looking forward to the next few weeks, on February 1st (that's next Friday!) we are going to put her in her high chair and feed her a little rice cereal. She'll be 5 1/2 months old then. I'm really excited about it! I've been letting her sit in my lap some during supper. She watches me put the food in my mouth and seems very interested in the whole thing. She gets very excited about watching me chew, so I think she'll catch on pretty quickly. Would love any advice about rice cereal as well. What worked for you guys?

7 comments:

The Clem Family said...

Lisa, she just keeps getting prettier and prettier! And looks like you are doing a wonderful job as a working momma! I know pumping and then feeding is so much work. Proud of you! My advice on the middle of the night feeding and take this for just one crazy mom's theory that has zero medical knowledge to back it up... My theory is that babies really don't start sleeping through the night until they hit the 12 pound mark. Both my boys slept through the night at around 8 weeks, but they were chunkers. So, my advice would be to try to patient with her while she is putting on the pounds...I know that is so hard when you are missing your sleep!

Susie S said...

I have no helpful advice as far as getting rid of that feeding. I'm pretty sure Sullivan was still taking a middle of the night bottle at 9 months. As for cereal, we started that at 6 months, and I would just mix with breastmilk initially. We always used Enfamil (maybe organic?) or it was some fancy version of it after i stopped breastfeeding.

The Clem Family said...

Also, I was a bit of a mean momma when it came to night feedings. For example, once the boys showed that they could go 6 hour stretches between feedings for 3-5 nights, I made them go that long every night. It was rough the first few nights but then got better. Of course I would feed them if they wouldn't calm down with the pacifier or if they were going through a growth spurt. We would keep going through that routine until they were sleeping the entire night. For my boys it was around 12 lbs ;).

Lisa Blair said...

Jenny, you know, it does make sense that babies wouldn't sleep through the night until they get bigger size wise, even if that isn't exactly scientific. We are being patient with her at the moment since she still wakes up most nights. Once we get to where she is sleeping 6 hours straight most nights, we may have to be mean, too, to get her to sleep through. I'm not opposed to it.

Sarah Laurence said...

Congratulations, Lisa, Lydia is beautiful! I'll be posting my review of the Snow Child next Wednesday. I can see why it was your favorite.

challie west said...

Thanks for sharing your schedule. We have a similar one. I am still pumping and bottle feeding too. We haven't supplemented with formula yet but I am going shopping this afternoon and we will be trying the combo bottle tomorrow night. My supply can't keep up with my chunky monkey. I agree on the bigger babies can sleep longer.
One suggestion to try - let one of her bigger bottles be before bedtime. Babies need more food to sleep longer.

Lisa Blair said...

Allie, I really wish she would eat more late at night. She usually falls asleep after 2-3 ounces, and if I wake her up to eat more she never gets back to sleep! I think she might be growing out of that, though. She's taken a little bit more over the past few nights. Thank goodness!