Monday, May 28, 2007

New Orleans

My husband and I took off for New Orleans on Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day to take a drive. The sky was spotted with clouds, not too hot and not too humid. We checked-in to our hotel (the W on Poydras) at around 2:15 PM. We hit the French Quarter immediately. I planned to take photos of the Quarter on Saturday, but I left my camera in the glove box of the car. Yuck!

We had a quick bite to eat at the Hard Rock, then made our way around the Quarter. We tried a couple Ragin' Bull Red Bull daquiris at the Fat Tuesday on Bourbon. They were pretty terrible. Then we listened to a band at the Gazebo Bar & Grill in the French Market. While walking around Jackson Square, we ran into a friend of Chip's, and we all chatted for a bit.

Saturday night we walked around looking for a jazz bar that I'd been to before and LOVED. I couldn't remember the name or exactly where it was. We never found it!! Now that I have access to Google, I know the place is called The Spotted Cat, and it is on Frenchman Street. Next time we go to New Orleans we're going to have to make it to that place. They have a house band that plays my favorite type of jazz.

On Sunday, we had a DELICIOUS breakfast at Croissant D'or on the Quarter. We took a little walk, and I took some photos. Next we made it over to the Garden District. Where I took loads of photos of some magnificent houses and gardens. Have a look at my New Orleans album at Picasa.

There were tons of plants that I know, but also some unknowns. Take a look and let me know if you can name some of these plants!

This vine is very pretty, but what is it?


And what's this one?


I've seen these everywhere, but I can't remember the name of this plant.


Is this a tree or a shrub? It has flowering spires like sage or a butterfly bush.


My husband really like this tropical-looking plant. What is it? It was about 8 to 10 feet tall.


Sunday night we had reservations at Emeril's New Orleans. OMG, it was so good! The best part was a Caprese salad layered with basil, buffalo mozzarella, skinless cherry tomatoes, arugula, prosciutto, and watermelon with a balsamic dressing. So good! For dessert we had a Grand Marnier chocolate souffle that was totally delicious.

We plan to go back soon to hit some of the restaurants we missed out on this time. High on our list are Bayona and Herbsaint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The plants in your pictures are Bleeding Heart Vine (clerodendrum thomsoniae), Bougainvillea, Agapanthus, Vitex (bushy but can be trained into a tree), and Shell ginger.

Lisa Blair said...

Thanks so much!

I knew that vine looked like a bleeding heart. Yes, Agapanthus = Lily of the Nile. I remember that now. I just read about Vitex (a.k.a chaste tree, hemp tree) in the April/May Garden Bloggers Book Club selection "Passalong Plants". The book didn't have a photo of this plant, but now I know exactly what it is.

Thanks again!

Annie in Austin said...

The Clerodendron, Bougainvillea, Agapanthus and Vitex were familiar but the Shell Ginger is new to me. I liked your album with larkspur and purple hydrangea, too. So your trip was musical, culinary AND horticultural, Lisa - a perfect combination ~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rachel said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time! What a great get away, New Orleans.

Jon said...

Love your blog and pictures! I have started one also at http://mississippigarden.blogspot.com

Keep up the nice work.