Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Compost Harvest

God bless my composter. I am truly impressed by the amount of compost I was able to harvest this week. I started the harvesting project on Saturday. With pitchfork in hand, I took all the top layers off the pile. The bottom of the pile was brown and nicely composted. Just what I hoped for. I didn't have a sifter yet, so on Sunday Chip made me one out of some left over wood and wire. Chip has been building a lattice fence around the pool pump (photos to follow soon), and we have lots of left over wood for little projects like my sifter. The sifter fit perfectly over the garden cart.
Then, I lifted and sifted: lifted the compost out of the pile with my pitchfork and sifted the finished pieces through with my gloved hands. After I had gotten all the usable compost sifted, the uncomposted layers went back on top. Let me tell you, this was hard work. Not only was it hot as balls outside, my back and shoulders got quite the workout. Awesome. I have plenty of spots in my garden that could use some of this beautiful, brown compost. I might even have enough leftover to share the love with my mom... Aww...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yum - compost! Ours is about ready to churn some out as well.

challie west said...

Chad will be so jealous..... He is working hard on our compost but we don't have anything to use it on! And I think we have the same garden cart! Hope to see you soon - Allie