Sunday, June 01, 2008

My First Upholstery Project

Chip and I are recovering a chair today. I wish I had a "before" photo of the terrible fabric that was on this thing before we started ripping it away. Think orange, brown, and white tweed circa 1977. The fabric would have looked right at home at Graceland. My mom bought the chair for me at an estate sale years ago. We always planned to recover it, but just never got around to it. I was browsing the stacks at the library a few weeks ago and came upon the upholstery section. I checked out a few books, and the next thing I knew I was picking out new fabric.


I took a few photos after we stripped the tweed nightmare fabric off. You can just barely make out the back of the tweed in a pile on the right side of this photo. Under the tweed was another layer. A floral. As we were stripping off the fabric, stuffing was flying everywhere. It looked like shredded paper to me. The upholstery book I checked out said it might be moss.
And bottom layer of fabric was this old brocade, tissue paper thin after all these years.

Today, we're off to Michael's to buy some recovering material. I really hope we don't suck at this.

4 comments:

Susie S said...

Wow! I'm impressed! YOu are a far braver woman than I! I'm sure it's gonna turn out great.

Phillip Oliver said...

Some friends of mine just moved to Clinton - I need to show them your blog. Nice job on the chair!

Lisa Blair said...

Phillip, tell your friends I said, "Welcome to the neighborhood!"

Mara said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Three cheers for crafty ladies like you!!