Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tomato and Squash Season Has Begun


That's right, folks. I got a lot of squash, green beans, and tomatoes. Also jalapeno, banana, and bell peppers, a couple cucumbers, and some basil. My in-laws started a big garden this summer. Much bigger than mine. And they started it a lot earlier than mine. Chip and I went out there on Sunday morning and harvested snap beans, tomatoes, and squash. A few of the squash we picked were huge (i.e. too ripe), and the beans are a bit too ripe for my liking. The flavor of the beans is not the best (we had some for dinner Monday night), and the pods are a bit tough. I wish we had known that the veggies were ready, and I would have been out there picking a week ago. I gotta try to can some of these beans tomorrow night because I'm going to Oxford Friday morning, and I know Chip won't cook them while I'm gone. I have never canned anything before, so here goes nothing. I think step 1 is going to be "Call Grandma for advice on canning beans."

Is there anything I can do with these huge squash? Maybe bake with them or something?

Tonight is the finale of Top Chef! On our menu is Southwest Turkey Burgers (topped with homegrown tomatoes) and a salad with grated squash, more tomatoes, and cucumber. Yum, yum!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make Aunt Geogia's Squash Casserole from Come On In. I have used big/old/etc squash in that recipe and it's always good.

Leah Maria said...

This is making wish I had a garden! I have made up my mind--once Brian and I get settled I'm having a garden (I don't care if it takes up the whole back yard!). I am trying to convience my dad to turn most of his backyard into one as well.

Lisa Blair said...

Ginger, there are sooo many delicious recipes in Come On In, and I've never tried that one before. I'm gonna try it soon. I think I am going to make a Zucchini & Oat bread, and sub squash for the zucchini. I have tons of squash, so plenty of opportunities to try both.

Leah, yeah! You need a garden!

Mara said...

I know I'm probably too late on the canning advice, but you can always freeze beans to use later. Did you end up canning? It's a chore, but I think it's fun!

That's a ton of squash! For some reason, mine haven't been prolific - a total bummer. Oh well, the tomatoes will more than make up for it soon.

Lisa Blair said...

Ginger, I made a squash and oat bread and took it on my camping trip. It was delicious! I made Aunt Georgia's Squash Casserole on Wednesday. Yum-yum. You can't go wrong with cheddar cheese and sour cream. I ended up lightly peeling and scooping the seeds out of some of the larger squashes. My mother-in-law brought me more squash yesterday, so we are gonna have our fill.

Mara, I did end up canning the beans, and it was kinda fun. The disappointing part is that these beans were just waaaay too ripe to be any good. I canned them anyway for the practice, but I'm probably gonna have to throw them out. The pods are just too tough to eat. Gotta pick these babies earlier!

Eve said...

I usually freeze my squash and beans. We will eat them up in a few months anyway. We make a dish here on the Coast:

SQUASH-CHEESE CASSEROLE

2 lbs. yellow crock neck squash
1 med. onion, chopped
2 slightly beaten egg yolks
1 c. sour cream
2 tbsp. flour
2 stiffly beaten egg whites
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained and crumbs (dry)
1/2 c. bread crumbs, dry
1 tbsp. melted butter

Wash squash and cut off ends. Cook whole, covered in boiling water (salted) for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut into thin slice. Mix together egg yolks, sour cream, flour and onion. Fold in the egg whites. Layer half the squash, egg mixture and cheese on greased casserole, then repeat with other half. Sprinkle bacon over mixture and add bread crumbs and melted butter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour or until set.

I serve this with fried shrimp and a good bread....really good.