Monday, April 11, 2011

Lovely English Roses

I love English roses. I can't even begin to describe how pretty the blooms are - pillowy and delicate with such lovely color. When I left for Oxford last week, I had shrubs that were covered in buds and a few blooms just opening up. When I got home on Saturday evening, the shrubs were covered in pretty yellow, peach, apricot, and blush pink blooms.
Golden Celebration buds on April 4th. Molineux just opening up, Monday, April 4th. Covered in buds on April 4th. On the left is Tamora. Molineux is in the center. Golden Celebration is on the right. Yesterday I grabbed some shots before heading to Sakura Bana for sushi. Here they are in full spring bloom on April 10th. In the back and right is Tamora. On the left is Molineaux. In the front and right is Golden Celebration. These are definitely the best blooms I've ever gotten from these shrubs. I transplanted Tamora all the way from Oxford. In January 2009 I moved Molineux and Golden Celebration just a few feet from their original spot to their new spot. The "before" photo from 2009 is telling - check out my Rose Victory post from May 2009. The fragrance on Tamora is amazing, very intense. This morning I cut some and brought them into the house, so I should have some pretty arrangement photos later in the week. Ambridge Rose is holding on. She's still very tiny, but she did produce two or three blooms this year. I really hope she takes off this year!

7 comments:

Leah Maria said...

Gorgeous!!! I'm a tad jealous of all your beautiful blooms!

LOVE the new header too!

Phillip Oliver said...

I love them too. I wish I had room for Golden Celebration.

Ginger said...

you have a talent for roses!! how are you going to leave them if y'all move?!

Lisa Blair said...

Leah, I have been cultivating roses for 7 years, and I am finally seeing my hard work pay off. I think I just finally found the perfect spot for them.

Phillip, Golden Celebration is so pretty. It starts out a deep, rich, and perfect yellow, the fades to a pale yellow as the bloom ages.

I know, Ginger! It is going to be hard to leave them. As long as I am passing them on to a gardener, I'll be fine. I can get new roses. I'll just feel bad if we sell our house to someone who won't take care of them.

Sarah Laurence said...

What gorgeous blooms! I'm very envious since not even the forsythia has started blooming in our yard. Thanks for bringing color and warmth to my cold, wet day.

Casey said...

Wow! Amazing the difference in two years! Gives me hope for comebacks!

Dirt Princess said...

The close up shot doesn't even look real. Beautiful