Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April Iris Blooms

In late March I posted about how excited I was about all the buds on my irises. Well, bloom they did! It has been a spectacular year for these pretty purple plants.

By April 1 the first iris blooms had opened up.
Previously, these irises were planted in a very shady part of the backyard garden. Once I moved them to the sun, they multiplied very quickly. I've had to divide them every other year so far. Talk about prolific. This year is a divide year, so after they are done blooming, I'll have some irises to share with some garden friends!
I've had quite a time trying to figure out the cultivar/variety. I have some guesses, but no clear identity. Isn't it a beauty though? I love the rich color. I think it is stunning.
They are the perfect component in my front porch bed.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

I wish we could buy your house just for your front garden!!!! Those are gorgeous. I know someone who lives on Comanche Drive in NE Jackson who would like some if you're dividing. Ha ha

LisaJennings said...

What a beautiful iris.. such a rich purple. Is that verbena growing below it? Your bed looks great with the color combinations!

Lisa Blair said...

Ginger - you definitely have first dibs on the irises!

Lisa - Thanks! Yes, that is "Homestead Purple" verbena.

Sandra Gardener said...

Hi, Lisa !
Your flowers are gorgeous ! What a beautiful iris ! What wonderful rich color!

Casey said...

They are so pretty! I like how you grouped them with other lower growing purple flowers. I hope you're enjoying your new paint color amidst all your colorful blooms!