Saturday, June 15, 2013

How I Cooked It: Carrots



We got carrots in our box from Yokna Bottoms Farm two weeks in a row. The first week I snipped off the green tops and put the carrots in the fridge. When I got them the second week I still hadn't used my previous batch, so I thought... Time for carrot salad. My most favorite carrot salad is this one, heavily modified from two different carrot salad recipes in "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters.
Ingredients:
6-8 little carrots, grated using a food processor
1/2 teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander
juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
Directions:
Toss the grated carrots with the cumin and coriander. Add lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, and herbs to the carrots and toss gently. Taste for seasoning and add salt and lemon juice as needed.
I served the carrot salad over mixed greens, also from YBF, with the chicken with mushrooms in Madeira wine sauce from Come On In.

- Posted from my iPhone using BlogPress

No comments: