Thursday, April 02, 2009

How I Cook Leeks

One of my favorite things to do with leftovers is make a big pot of soup. We eat a lot of brown rice, and it seems like I always have leftovers. When I roast chicken I try to make extra because I can use it for dinner all week. My go-to chicken soup is made with leftover brown rice and chicken with veggies and seasonings that I have around the house. If you don't have any cooked rice on hand, orzo pasta is a good substitute because it cooks so quickly.

Chicken and Rice Soup

2 Tbs olive oil
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
5 cups chicken broth (or 3 cups broth and 2 cups water)
1 bay leaf
2 roasted chicken breasts, boned and chopped into bite-size pieces
2 cups cooked brown rice

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are softened, stirring often. Stir in broth (and water if using) and add bay leaf and roasted chicken. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and cook until rice is heated through. Ladel into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread.


I made one of my favorite fennel dishes tonight. I can't remember where I got this recipe from originally (maybe Food + Wine?), but since then I've given it my own twist. Tonight I served the fennel with a yummy pan-seared and baked salmon. Casey and Leah, y'all will get a kick out of this: I sprinkled my salmon with The Melting Pot's Garlic and Wine Seasoning! It was pretty good!

Roasted Fennel and Carrots with Parmesan

4 fennel bulbs, cored, quartered, and cut into 1/3-inch slices
4 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/3-inch slices
2/3 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbs olive oil
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375°F. Layer sliced fennel and carrots in a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the thyme, drizzle with oil, and toss to coat. Top with grated cheese. Bake until vegetables are tender and top is golden brown, about 1 1/4 hours.

2 comments:

Leah Maria said...

Both sound good! I'm going to have to try these out. I used the Garlic and Wine seasoning Tuesday on broiled asparagus and it was pretty good.

Casey said...

that is pretty awesome! i told michael it was a gift i brought him back from our bachelorette wknd :) He was just a little confused. and thanks for the words on leeks.