Sunday, April 05, 2009

Point Reyes National Seashore

We leave Mississippi for California in 2 1/2 weeks! I'll be on vacation soon!

I want to visit Point Reyes National Seashore while we are in the area. We want to do a dayhike to the coast. I've been looking on the nps.gov website and on the backpacker.com forums for good dayhikes, and I've decided on the Woodward Valley Loop, the same hike this guy took.

From nps.gov:
WOODWARD VALLEY LOOP (approx. 21 km / 13 mi.) This trail includes beautiful forest and spectacular coastal hiking. Begin at the Bear Valley Trailhead, climbing either Mt. Wittenberg or Meadow Trail to Sky Trail. Continue to Woodward Valley, one of the lushest, greenest trails in the park. Follow this all the way down to Coast Trail where you'll enjoy open ocean views as you head south to Arch Rock. Beach access is marked along your way at Sculptured Beach, a beautiful and remote beach. From Arch Rock, follow Bear Valley Trail, a gentle grade through beautiful buckeyes, oaks, and Douglas firs, back to the Bear Valley Visitor Center.

I'm really looking forward to this part of our trip!

Chip has been working on the list of vineyards we'll visit and winery tours we'll take. Of course, my only request was that we visit some with great gardens. Here is the list so far:

Oakville
Far Niente (gardens!)
Nickel & Nickel

Rutherford
Grgich Hills
Mumm Napa
St. Supery

Saint Helena
Flora Springs

Yountville
Domaine Chandon

Carneros
Cline (gardens!)
Domaine Carneros (gardens!)

We may add more, or we may not even be able to make to all of those. I think its going to be awesome!

3 comments:

challie west said...

I am so jealous.... I know you will have a blast. I can't wait to hear about your trip. Take lots of pics!

Susie S said...

Vacation? What's that? :) Yall are gonna have a wonderful time! wine and gardens...doesn't get much better than that!

Ginger said...

Sounds amazing! Hope you'll post pictures on your blog!